Services to Pre-School Children & Families
• The early years of children’s lives are critical to their future success in school and life. This is when brain development occurs most rapidly, allowing for children to pick up social, emotional and academic skills that lay the foundation for later success.
• Education, health, nutrition, Family supports and other services are provided to your child either in your home or in one of our New York State licensed child care facilities for children between the ages of three and five years.
Chautauqua Opportunities, Inc. has our Holy Trinity (ECCC) location in Dunkirk, and our Holy Family (HF) location in Jamestown, which offers Head Start to 3 and 4 year olds.
MY CHILD’S DAY (8:30 AM – 12:00 PM; 12:00 PM -3:30 PM):
• School partnerships have been established with districts throughout Chautauqua County for Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) services.
Current partnerships include: Jamestown Public Schools- 4 year old UPK and 3 year old UPK, Dunkirk Public Schools 3 and 4 year old UPK, and Gowanda 4 year old UPK.
Curriculum & Instruction
• COI’s Early Education services uses evidence based curricula, including The Creative Curriculum for Preschool, which is aligned with Kindergarten curriculum used in public schools throughout Chautauqua County.
• The evidence based social-emotional curriculum, PATHS (Promoting Alternative Thinking Strategies) and Second Step, is also used to help children develop positive social interaction skills, positive self esteem, problem solving and how to handle conflicts.
• Ongoing child assessments are conducted to identify children’s areas of strength and need. The information from assessments and parent input guides center and home based staff in creating individual goals and plans for children. Parents receive detailed report cards and their child’s academics, health and family engagement three times per year.
Services for Children with Special Needs
• Developmental screenings, referrals and follow up for children who have a suspected and/or diagnosed special need are provided to children.
• Speech therapists, physical and occupational therapists and special education teachers work directly with children and teachers in the classroom for children who qualify.
Health & Nutrition Services
• Health and wellness is very important to everyone, especially to young children. Much of the foundation for children’s further growth and development is already established by the time they are six years old.
• Early Education can assist you in accessing health insurance, as well as medical and dental services in the community.
• COI serves healthy breakfast, lunch and snack as part of our daily routine.
Parent, Family & Community Engagement
• COI’s Early Education services offers parents a comprehensive range of opportunities for family support, involvement and leadership.
• COI provides Life Coaches and Family Engagement Specialists to assist all families in reaching personalized goals. These goals include, but are not limited to, housing, education, credit counseling, and home ownership.
• Have a child turn age 3-5 years
• Reside in Chautauqua County, New York.